What is the Invisalign® system?
Invisalign® is a type of orthodontic system that uses removable plastic aligners (trays) to move teeth into alignment over time. The trays aligners are clear, making them nearly invisible, and they’re changed about every two weeks to keep teeth shifting in the proper direction.
Is Invisalign® better than traditional braces?
That’s a matter of personal preference; however, Invisalign® does offer several benefits compared to traditional braces, including:
- the aligners are clear and nearly invisible while being worn
- the aligners are smooth, so there are no sharp edges to cause sore spots
- the aligners can be removed for eating and for brushing and flossing, meaning no dietary restrictions and better oral care and oral health
- Invisalign® is truly customized to each patient and doesn’t rely on standard fittings like traditional braces, which means most patients complete treatment in a fraction of the time
- the aligners are very easy to care for – just a simple brush and rinse keeps them fresh and clean
How will my aligners be custom made for my mouth?
The Invisalign® process begins with an impression of your teeth which serves as a mold for your aligners. Measurements may also be taken of key points in your mouth. The impression and measurements are sent to a lab and “fed” into a computer which uses the data to create a series of images that show just how your teeth will have to move to come into alignment. Your actual aligners will be created using those images so you get a one-of-a-kind treatment based specifically on you unique needs.
How long does treatment take?
Treatment times vary with each patient, but in many cases, treatment can be completed within 18 months or less.